A few years ago, the House in Indiana was deadlocked because the parties could not agree on passing an amendment that defined marriage as a union only between a man and a woman. President Bush advocated an amendment at the national level. President Obama has come out and recently changed his stance on the Defense of Marriage Act. Many churches are changing their constitutions to state that a family is ordained of God and consists of a heterosexual relationship between a man and a woman!
We hear of marriages breaking up and a man leaving his wife for another man….a woman leaving her husband for another woman.
Homosexuality is nothing new. Emperor Augustus passed laws under which a man could be charged for homosexual activities. Elton John and his “partner” (never sure just what to call these people) recently adopted a baby boy. It made headlines all over the networks. In Enid, OK, the director of the Gay and Lesbian organization that was to “help” people struggling with sexual issues, was arrested for sexual assualting a young 15 year old boy who came in looking for some help.
How do we as Christians respond to the push to accept the gay lifestyle as an equal alternative lifestyle? How? With wisdom, intelligence, compassion and clarity, that’s how.
How did things get to be such a mess? My last message closed with the people worshipping things lower and lower and lower. God loosened His restraint and “gave them over in the sinful desires…… V 24. Sexual perversion.. led to spiritual perversion, v 25….. and sexual perversion unraveled further into homosexuality… v 26-27. V 26 speaks of lesbianism and v 27 of homosexuality.
Some “gayness is temporary… jails and perhaps monasteries.
75% of homosexuals carry HPV. (human papillomavirus) According the Washington Blade, a homosexual newspaper, “A San Francisco study of gay and bisexual men revealed that HPV infection was almost universal among HIV-positive men, and that 60% of HIV-negative (homosexual) men carried the HPV. The Archives of Internal Medicine found that homosexuals acquired syphilis at a rate 10 times that of hetrosexuals. (issue 151; 1991)
With the acceptance of homosexuality come a who load of depraved behavior flowing from depraved minds. It begins with rejecting the knowledge of the TRUE God. V 28 It works itself out in relational, moral, and social depravity.
In “The Family: Discovering the Obvious” by Mary Eberstadt, First things, Feb 2004 (vol 140) pgs 10-12 … These are some reports and facts concerning homosexuals:
* Homosexuals are plagued with addictions to drugs and alcohol. Gay Community News reports, “The statistics do point to the gay community, particularly, gay men, as being most at risk of becoming alcoholics.”
* Homosexuals disproportionately suffer from depression. In a recent article in Archives of Sexual Behavior, it is stated, “The levels of depression and anxiety in our homosexual subjects,whether HIV positive or HIV negative, are substantially higher than those found in representative general population samples.”
* Homosexual suicide is much more likely. A 1978 study found “at least 18% of white homosexual males reported at least one suicide attempt” compared to 3% of white homosexual males. The founders of New York’s Harvey Milk School for gay teenagers recently wrote in the Wall Street Journal, “Gay and lesbian youth are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide that other youth.”
* Homosexuals are likely to have suffered sexual abuse as children and adolescents. A 1998 Journal of American Medical Association reports, “Abused adolescents, particularly those victimized by males, are up to SEVEN times more likely to self-identify as gay or bi-sexual than peers who have not been abused.”
These facts are being ignored by courts that place children in homosexual custody, and by those who say that homosexuality is disconnected from sex scandals that include young boys. Homophobia is used as a weak justification in the face of a culture that accepts gays as normal.
We need to ask some questions.
1. Is homosexual genetic? NO. Tim LaHaye in “The Unhappy Gays” –guys with a melancholic temperament are more prone to to that way, but they are NOT predetermined to go that way.
2. Should we hate homosexuals? No. John 3:16 still applies.
3. Does it matter, because, after all, we all sin, and all sins are alike, right? All sins are not alike. Look at the different penalties in OT, and the list of sins requiring discipline in I Cor 5 and 6.
4. Why does it seem that the number of homosexuals is growing? Because, when a society encourages it, those guys “on the fence” lean the wrong way.
5. Can homosexuals be saved? Can they be changed? Yes. Exodus International deals with helping homosexuals get out of the lifestyle.
6. Should homosexuals be church leaders? No. I Timothy 3 applies. I think that the Roman Catholic church errs in letting them be priests.
7. What should our attitude be toward gay men and lesbian women that we know? We should treat them well; friendliness is not the same as endorsing. I have friends who are living together without being married and others who struggle with alcoholism, but they are my friends. I wrote to a friend this past week who is incarcerated for felony DUI to try to encourage her. I do not condone what she has been doing, but she is my friend. I have made a friend of a man who was caught in a homosexual affair. I don’t condone what he did, but he has repented and is my friend.
How do we make it less likely for our children to go the wrong way? I think that spending lots of time with both parents; balanced discipline, encouragement and having a DAD in the picture are essential.